Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bloody Love

I have an older brother. And just because we grew up in the same house, have the same parents, and share the same last name, I am expected to love him. I have been yelled at by my parents for not loving him, and people always tell me you should love your brother. When I ask them why, they respond: because he is your brother. Some reason. Just because we have the same blood, I'm expected to love him. I don't really know if I agree with this expected custom. Do I really have to love him because we are related?

Now I will give the nay-sayer's this. I should at least attempt to love him and be friends with him because he's my brother, and I won't argue that there should be more of an effort for family. But it is not like I haven't tried to get along with him, and love him like "family should". I have attempted to get along with him and be friends with him, but every time it comes down to him thinking he's cooler, tougher, or smarter than me (which isn't the case). Most of the time he will just throw out some insult to make himself look superior. I don't go around saying how much better I am than him, so why must he do it to me? I really don't know. He acts as if I was born with all the talent, and is super jealous of me. I was born with a good mind, and a good work ethic, that's all. I have worked much harder than him to receive the things he is jealous of. So he should blame himself, and not me. For me to love him I have to be able to put up with his shit, and not be bothered by it.

In my eyes, I am always blamed for not loving him. He isn't questioned. I don't really know why he isn't. Because to me it seems like I'm the one making an effort and not him. As I hinted at earlier, I should at least give him a chance, and make the effort. And I have and will continue to. Returning to the original topic, do I really have to love him because I am related to him? I think the answer is no. But I do think that I should treat him like family should treat family, and I should care about him and be there for him. But I do not need to love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment